Loisaida, Inc. began as a grassroots movement in the Lower East Side (LES) led by Puerto Rican activists and Hispanic residents in the mid 1970’s to combat the effects of rampant violence, drugs, gangs, and poverty facing neighborhood children, youth and families. Later, in 1978 Loisaida, Inc. was formally incorporated in New York State as a local development corporation, with the mission to address the serious economic and social disenfranchisement of poor and low income Latino residents, with employment and training opportunities, comprehensive youth development initiatives, as well as neighborhood revitalization activities that positively highlighted the rich culture, heritage, and contribution of the Puerto Rican and Latin American community in this City.
Loisaida Inc. Center is also part of Dance Block‘s Extra Block Dance Program.
Extra Block residencies are available by inquiry; for full details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Act One | 710 E. 9th Street | 20’ x 18’ | Now being offered to invited dance makers to do long-term residencies
Act One at Loisaida Inc. Center amenities include:
- Access to the space as agreed.(A private dance room key can be provided if arranged)
- Closet space for personal items/storage purposes.
- Access to a shared refrigerator.
- WiFi Access.
- Access to Courtyard when not in use.
- Speakers, Boombox, Amp or similar equipment available.
- Foam-backed Dancestep* flooring covering almost entire room. (A small space near room entrance is left uncovered) *Dancestep can be laid directly on concrete floor without the use of a sprung or floating subfloor.