FABnyc’s Dance Block Program works with dance companies and theaters in the Fourth Arts Block neighborhood to make low cost rehearsal space available to dancers and choreographers by centralizing booking during underutilized times.
Dance Block aims to build a network of dance makers who are connected through their creative use of studio spaces and fueled by the collective energy of the local arts district. The program encourages community engagement and networking opportunities through seasonally presented Dance Block Salons and artist workshops.
Dance Block rentals are open to non-commercial choreographers or dance companies rehearsing new or repertory works. Dance artists and groups in search of low cost rehearsal space should call or email to find out if they qualify for FAB’s Dance Block Program, now renting space for the subsidized rate of $10/hour.
CONTACT US: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dance Block is a subsidized space rental program for dance from FABnyc. This program is made possible with generous support from The Mertz Gilmore Foundation, New York State Council on the Arts, Con Edison, The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs with participation from The City Council.
Guidelines & Policy
All Dance Block space is made available to individual dancers, choreographers or non-profit dance companies who are doing non-commercial work, in the process of creating or rehearsing new or repertory works for $10 per hour.
These spaces may NOT be used for classes, workshops, or public performances. Open rehearsals are approved on a case-by-case basis and must be cleared with a Dance Block Staff member a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the rehearsal.
Payment for rehearsals may be made by either CASH or CHECK. Upon initial visit, the renter must leave credit card information on file to ensure that potential damages to equipment or studios and replacement fees for lost or stolen equipment are made available.
- All rehearsals must end on time, no exceptions, as rehearsals are often booked back to back
- A 72 hour cancellation policy is in effect. Renters who cancel within 72 hours of their scheduled rehearsal time will be invoiced
- Payment is due at the time of rental; payment for any cancellation is due within one week of cancelled rental
- Dance Block books on the hour, not the half hour
- Outdoor shoes are not permitted on studio floors
- No food or beverages other than water in plastic or unbreakable bottles are allowed in the studios
- No smoking or alcohol allowed on premises
- No spiked heels, tap shoes or Flamenco heels are allowed in any studio (with the exception of RRDC-B)
- No dogs allowed except for service animals
- Renters must leave the studio in the same condition as they entered it: Discard all trash, recyclables, close windows, turn off the lights, and turn off air conditioning and heaters, if applicable
- Dance Block rentals include access to spaces and restrooms but do not include access to studio equipment such as barres, music stands, exercise equipment, or shower facilities
- Additional policies may apply to individuals spaces. The renter will be provided this information upon first renting space with Dance Block.
Fall 2017 Dance Block Spaces and Program Hours:
Monday 9am – 5pm
Tuesday 9am – 5pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm
Thursday 9am – 6pm
Friday 9am – 6pm
Sunday 10am – 6pm
Due to the unique nature of our program, which utilizes 5-6 different spaces at any given time, available rental hours vary from space to space. Check out each space’s picture and dimensions by clicking on the images below.
Book by emailing email@example.com!